Wednesday, October 21, 2009

mini three: Ice Star

My Ice Star is complete!



The star is from my book by Judy Martin "Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts" - this is the Virginia Star. The book is wonderful and gives a bunch of sizes for a whole ton of cool blocks. But this one should not have been made smaller than 10" - so trying to change it up for 6" is why I had to do the quilty math...that was obviously a little wrong!

This mini is again about 13" x 17" I'm using lots of the 1.5" Figgy Pudding honey bun strips making boarders and improvised pieced strips. Trying to use them up is driving many of my design choices on all these minis!

My quilty math issues that ended me with a non-square star worked out perfect for the finished quilt shape! I was dieing to use that super cute Munki Munki skier and thought he could go through the snowy woods. So I have that snowflake star, two strips of the tree print, and lots of white (muslin on this one).

I don't know how I'm going to give all these little quilts up!

14 comments:

Rene' said...

I do not know how you are going to give the quilts up either. They are so cute!!! Love them!!! I was just about to ask how you came up with your mini quilt patterns. Did all of them come from the book you mentioned? I have to do several minis and did not know where to start. If you have any other suggestions for me in planning a mini quilt, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

leigh said...

I love the skier too. So cute.

Di~ said...

They are all so very cute. I'm enjoying seeing what you are doing here. My daughter loves Figgy Pudding. Thanks for showing.

Dee said...

Truly a miracle! (from another person who Math-and now analytical geometry-hates!) lol

This is absolutely beautiful. Icey, but warm and cozy at the same time!

Lovely...and a simple solution to giving them up is...make two...or mug the women who get them in a dark alley on their way home.

Remember to wear a mask! LOL

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!!! Good thing you have pictures to remember them by!

dutchcomfort said...

I love your miniquilts. Must be hard to give them up!

Leslie said...

i don't know how you are either....everyone is so pretty and perfect...atleast you know that they are going to go to good homes and be well loved

Life of Joy said...

This is my favorite. How funny that it is the Virginia Star. I finished the top of my first mini quilt.

Overall, I like the design and my math cam out right but all of my fabric has the same color values. So it just does not pop like yours. I need a lesson on picking fabric better.

patty a. said...

Each mini gets better and better. This one really knock my socks off!

One Flew Over said...

I love the way you have incorporated Munki in these blocks x

Mark said...

I love the skier! and that star is fantastic!

Brenda said...

I'm loving what you are doing with all these little quilts. One question - what are you using as you background fabric?

Tonya said...

The doll quilt is great. I love the little skier, I noticed as one of my favorite spots on the quilt from the large photo. Very nice job.

Allie said...

Beautiful....again! I love the little skier in there!